Water is beautiful.

Until it isn't.

Why Aviva

Water Protection?

features & benefits

  • First to offer this protection

    Aviva is the first insurance provider to offer overland water protection across Canada through our personal property insurance policies.

  • Extends existing water coverages

    Overland water coverage is a key part of Aviva Water Protection, which also includes your base policy water protection and sewer back-up coverage.

  • Wide range of properties

    Coverage is available for owners or tenants of houses, condos, rental properties, seasonal properties or secondary properties, where sewer back-up protection is in place.

  • High rate of eligibility

    Coverage is available to approximately 94% of our customers – at affordable premiums in most areas.

  • Extensive protections

    Overland water protection covers losses from the sudden accumulation or run-off of surface waters – including torrential rainfall or spring thaw – and from overflows from any body of fresh water.

  • Timely coverage – for a wetter world

    Canada has become wetter since the 1950s, with an increase in average annual precipitation of 16%. Severe weather damage claims paid by Canadian insurers increased more than 13 fold over the past 30 years.


quick tips


    Roof Check the condition of your roof. Even small leaks can be a sign of much bigger problems. Excessive icicles in winter could mean poor ventilation or heat escape in the attic that can lead to ice damming and leaks.


    Eaves and windows Keep eaves troughs and window wells clear of debris. Ensure that below-grade window wells have a drain – and seal window wells, cracks in floors, walls and your home’s foundation.


    Heat levels Be sure to maintain adequate levels of heat in your home to keep pipes from freezing – and have someone check your home regularly if you are away.


    Alarms and sensors Install a water sensor and alarm that can detect a water leak, or a smart home monitoring system that lets you monitor key conditions in your home from an app on your phone.


    Hot water Consider a tankless water system the next time you replace your hot water tank.                                                                        


    Hoses Use steel-braided hoses for washing machine and dishwasher connections as well as bathroom and laundry room sinks.


    Downspouts Downspouts should be directed at least 1.5 metres away from your home’s foundation.                                                                                                                                                


    Footing drains Ensure footing drains direct water to a storm sewer or sump pump, away from the foundation.                                                                                                                                                


    Sump pump Ensure the sump pump (a pump that removes water that has accumulated in a sump basin, usually in the basement) is connected to the storm sewer system or empties onto the lawn at least 1.5 metres from the foundation wall.


    Sewer pipe protection Have a mainline “normally open” backwater valve professionally installed. This plumbing device allows the flow of waste in one direction only – from your property towards the sewer line, but not in reverse.                                                                                                                                                


    Caps Seal and tighten cleanout and backwater valve caps.                                                                                                                                                


    Storage Do not keep valuables or important documents in the basement – or, if you do, protect them in watertight or water-resistant containers.                                                                                                                                                




Aviva Canada has partnered with the 'Ready When the Time Comes' program, to support and provide much needed volunteer capacity during large-scale disasters.

Every day, Red Cross volunteers are mobilized to respond during disasters ranging from house fires to forest fires, tornadoes and flooding. Their priority is to help the people affected by offering comfort and meeting their basic needs including shelter, food, clothing and personal items.

Established in 1964, the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) is the national industry association representing Canada’s private home, auto and business insurers. Aviva works in partnership with IBC and governments at all levels to mitigate damage and loss caused by severe weather events.

The Institute for Catastrophic Loss Reduction (ICLR) is a world-class centre for multi-disciplinary disaster prevention research and communications. The ICLR was established by Canada’s property and casualty (p&c) insurance industry as an independent, not-for-profit research institute affiliated with the University of Western Ontario. Institute staff and research associates are international leaders in wind and seismic engineering, atmospheric science, risk perception, hydrology, economics, geography, health sciences, public policy and a number of other disciplines.

frequently asked questions

  • Is overland water protection available to everyone?
    It will be available to the majority of our customers. However, there will be a few customers that live in areas that are very highly prone to overland water where the product will not be offered. As well, properties with a reverse slope driveway are not eligible.
  • Is this coverage only available for houses?
    The coverage can be added to a wide range of properties – from houses or condos to a secondary or seasonal residence. You can also get this coverage if you are renting your home.
  • How can I tell whether I’m eligible for coverage?
    Your insurance broker can tell you whether you're eligible for coverage – and if you are, the cost of your coverage.
  • I'm not up for renewal for several months. Can I add this coverage now?
    Yes, your insurance broker can arrange this coverage immediately, provided your home is eligible.
  • You call this product “overland water”. What's the difference between that and a flood?
    "Overland water" is fresh water from rivers and lakes, or water suddenly accumulating from heavy rainfall or spring thaw (this is covered). "Flood" refers to coastal flooding from salt water, such as from tsunamis and tidal waves (this is not covered).
  • Apart from salt water flooding, is there anything else that isn’t covered?
    Intentional breaches of man-made structures such as dams, dikes, and levees is not covered (in addition to usual policy exclusions).
  • Has your Sewer Back-up Endorsement wording changed?
    It has. We have updated the wording to make it clear that it only covers damage caused by water coming into your property from a sewer, septic system or sump pump. If you have a loss due to sewer back-up, we've made it easier to take action to prevent future back-ups. We now provide up to $1,000 towards installing devices such as a sump pump or backwater valve that can prevent a future sewer back-up loss from happening.
  • Can I buy the Overland Water Endorsement alone, without sewer back-up coverage?
    No – sewer back-up coverage must be in place when you buy overland water coverage, as the two are designed to work together. You can buy sewer back-up coverage alone – but remember there is no sewer back-up coverage if overland water has entered your home.
  • I don’t live near a river, and I don’t want to pay for coverage I don’t need. Isn’t sewer back-up coverage enough?
    Many flood events occur in Canada that are unrelated to river overflows. This protection goes beyond damage from river flooding to cover damage from the sudden accumulation of water from events such as heavy rains or spring run-off. Note, if you decide not to buy the overland water protection, and just have sewer back-up coverage – there will be no sewer back-up coverage if overland water enters your home.
  • Does a deductible apply to overland water coverage?
    Overland water has its own deductible (the amount you’re responsible for paying when a loss occurs) that’s separate from the overall deductible for your policy. You can choose the amount that’s right for you – $1,000, $2,500, $5,000, $10,000, $25,000 or $50,000.
  • Is there anything I can do to lower my overland water premium?
    Yes, you have a couple of options. First, you can choose a higher deductible for overland water – the minimum deductible is $1,000, but you can choose up to $50,000. Second, you can choose to lower the amount of personal property coverage (covers the contents of your home) that applies to overland water. You can even opt to have no personal property coverage for overland water – so that damage remains covered, but not the contents inside.

  • The information provided on this website is provided to you for information purposes only.
    Please speak to your broker or refer to your policy wording for full terms and conditions.


It's easy to arrange coverage – just talk to your broker

It can be added to your policy if you qualify, like any other endorsement – provided sewer back-up coverage is in place.

For general information, call us at 1-800-387-4518. You can also reach us by mail at: Aviva Canada Inc., 10 Aviva Way Suite 100, Markham, Ontario L6G 0G1.